"Bad Girl" Songwriter Awarded $44 Mil

Talk about and share the latest gossip on your favorite rappers in pop culture.
cuTterz

Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:15 pm

Philadelphia songwriter Daniel Marino is finally getting paid the money he deserves. As reported byBillboard, Marino proved that he wrote the guitar hook, tempo, and chord progression for a song called “Club Girl.” The track was ultimately turned into Usher's "Bad Girl," off Confessions. The album is one of the best selling R&B projects of all time, and Marino wasn't about to lose his creation.
source: https://www.hotnewhiphop.com/usher-bad- ... 62688.html

I remember hearing about this years ago but I never thought anything came of it. I am sure this wasn't down to Usher or his fault but the fault of the label.
Music piracy happens all the time and if you aren't careful, lyrics and music can be taken from right under your nose. Good on him for getting his payment.
I know if I make a track and someone stole it, made millions and millions from it, I would be seeking justice too.
HipHopstical

Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:22 am

Labels and music producers do this all the time but they are more careful about it. Like they change the beat enough for it to be considered different or just build inspiration off of it. Music is always being recycled they were just careless.
WishSlayr

Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:36 pm

HipHopstical wrote:
Labels and music producers do this all the time but they are more careful about it. Like they change the beat enough for it to be considered different or just build inspiration off of it. Music is always being recycled they were just careless.
Careless is an understatement. That album made millions. I wish I could make a beat and someone would steal it off me so I could be suing someone for 40 million. haha :lol:
m3xtack

Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:47 pm

For real though, steal something of mine too!! haha

This is karma for ya. You can't just rip another artist off and expect them not to notice. This isn't the 1950's. Sucks for Usher but he likely didn't lose much.
Yo-She

Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:30 pm

What is the appeal of finding music from another artist and trying to make money off it like they won't know? Like come on. If I spent days or weeks, maybe months perfecting a beat, you would be a damn fool to think I would recognize it if someone like Usher started using it! LOL
skrilZZ

Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:58 am

Justice/karma well served. You can't steal someone's work and label it as your own and get away with it. Some people have and that was wrong but plenty get caught.
g code

Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:40 am

I am sure this happens a lot today because so many songs sound similar. They change it enough to make it legal to use. I see nothing wrong with this though cause that is how art is. It is just all recycled inspiration.
HipHopstical

Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:33 am

WishSlayr wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:36 pm
HipHopstical wrote:
Careless is an understatement. That album made millions. I wish I could make a beat and someone would steal it off me so I could be suing someone for 40 million. haha :lol:
I think that may have been the top-selling album of the year too, I would have to look into it to verify it but I remember EVERYONE owned it. I was a huge Usher fan growing up. The dude just had it all. The looks, the charisma, the voice, the lyrics. I remember all the girls at my school were in love with him.