Smoking & Hip-Hop Study

Talk about and share the latest gossip on your favorite rappers in pop culture.
cuTterz

Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:21 pm

Smoking tobacco, weed, and now electronic cigarettes, is not uncommon in hip-hop music videos, but a new study published last week in the JAMA Internal Medicine journal revealed just how widespread it is.

Hip-hop, a genre consumed mostly by adolescents and young adults, is the most popular music category in the United States. Researchers argued that the category’s music videos could be contributing to a public health concern around tobacco and marijuana use, due to the frequent appearance of these products in the videos.

The study looked at 796 videos featured on Billboard magazine’s Hot R&B/Hip-Hop songs list over a period of five years, and found that 460 of them featured the smoking of tobacco or weed via combustible, electronic, or rolled products. Some form of smoking appeared in 40 to 50% of the videos every year from 2013 to 2017.
read more: https://qz.com/quartzy/1424890/hip-hop- ... t-smoking/

I never really paid much attention to this but after reading this article and the study, I see it now. Most rappers smoke something be it cigs, weed, cigars, or now vape. I also know how impressionable kids were when I was growing up and it is only worse now. No judgment from me though man, you do you but kids shouldn't be handling any of this, especially not 12 to 17 year olds.
HipHopstical

Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:20 am

Smoking has been a big thing in rock and roll as well but they really don't market it as much in the music videos. I never paid attention to this either though so you aren't alone on that. I don't think it is going to change anytime soon either. I think more black teens smoke/vape than white teens as well.
WishSlayr

Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:36 pm

I don't think it would make a difference if they did or didn't show smoking in their music videos. Kids will always be trying to do what older ones do and older ones will be trying to act like they are grown when they aren't.
cryztals

Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:33 pm

WishSlayr wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:36 pm
I don't think it would make a difference if they did or didn't show smoking in their music videos. Kids will always be trying to do what older ones do and older ones will be trying to act like they are grown when they aren't.
I have to agree here. It is a cultural thing in the entire west, not just in urban communities. Plenty of other kinds of people smoke just as much if not more.
HipHopNews

Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:08 am

Unfortunately, smoking is seen as the cool thing to do. It's one thing that unites generations, races, and everything. Cowboys, Gangsters, Cops, Firemen, Doctors, Lawyers, Teachers, Bikers, and everything in between smokes so the people there want to be like their heroes.
m3xtack

Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:40 pm

HipHopNews wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:08 am
Unfortunately, smoking is seen as the cool thing to do. It's one thing that unites generations, races, and everything. Cowboys, Gangsters, Cops, Firemen, Doctors, Lawyers, Teachers, Bikers, and everything in between smokes so the people there want to be like their heroes.
Exactly. Smoking is more of a normal thing in Europe like more tolerated I mean in comparison to the US and other places. We still seem to advertise it just as much though, mostly being indirect. Those "truth" campaigns don't help either.
ShArk

Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:11 pm

It is funny when you think about it. Like mentioned, it is one thing that many people have in common... Rich, poor, black, white, religious folk and non-believers. Same with alcohol too. They are both so embedded in our culture and widely accepted now that most people don't even care about the damages they do or the cost.
Lil P

Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:12 pm

ShArk wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:11 pm
It is funny when you think about it. Like mentioned, it is one thing that many people have in common... Rich, poor, black, white, religious folk and non-believers. Same with alcohol too. They are both so embedded in our culture and widely accepted now that most people don't even care about the damages they do or the cost.
Alcohol and cigarettes, two of the worst things for the body are widely appreciated and praised in all forms of art and entertainment. Hell, look at sports games. Especially the NFL. They love their booze man.
skrilZZ

Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:00 am

This study can be stretched to all genres of music. To pretend it only happens in hip hop and is only an issue in hip hop is not paying attention to the bigger picture.

I smoke myself. I know it isn't healthy but I am also not a public figure in any way. I think anyone in the eyes of the public should at the very least not do this stuff in music videos or during interviews or stuff like that.
redMT2

Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:10 am

The way I see it is this... If you raise your kids to think for themselves, by the time they reach the age of being pressured into doing things cause they are "cool" they will more often than not, make the right choice. Parents are the problem these days. They let kids watch anything on tv or online and think nothing of it until they are acting out. Then they blame everything else but themselves.