Will.i.am's Problem With Modern Hip Hop

Talk about and share the latest gossip on your favorite rappers in pop culture.
cryztals

Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:55 pm

The question at hand was "Hip-hop is the dominant form of popular music on the planet. How long will that dominance last?".
In an interview with the Rolling Stones, he had this to say:
What’s the number-one sport on the planet? Soccer, because anyone can play it. The problem with hip-hop is everybody could do it. It doesn’t take much fucking skill right now to make hip-hop. It’s become the lowest-hanging fruit. It’s no longer about Rakim-level, Nas-level, not the deep, metaphorical simile shit. Out of respect for the Nases of the world, let’s not call it hip-hop. Let’s say that’s rap. But instrumental music is going to be the next biggest shit.
Source: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... op-762117/

I never thought of it like this but I have to agree with him. They really just allow anything to be labeled as hip hop these days and it removes the real skill, raw energy, and talent behind it.
m3xtack

Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:15 am

I think it is because hip hop in general has stretched away from the typical inner city to the sub areas and even out in the country. All kinds of people are fans of hip hop now so there are naturally going to be new flavors coming out of the woodwork.
ShArk

Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:10 pm

I have heard quite a bit of rap and hip hop over the years and the more recent stuff at large, it doesn't take much skill so he is right on that. Back in the day, you had to not only put out a good beat but hit hard bars on it. Nowadays, it is more about the beat and the look than the actual lyrics.