Does Hip Hop Need A #MeToo Movement?

Talk about and share the latest gossip on your favorite rappers in pop culture.
cryztals

Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:00 am

I read a few stories now that are calling for it. R Kelly has made the headlines again and it is pretty disturbing. I hear about other cases where men have abused young women and girls, other cases where the women were abused and conditioned. Maybe it is time someone takes a stand for these women in the hip hop community?

Here is one of the stories I read: https://nypost.com/2019/01/26/why-hip-h ... oo-moment/

Share your thoughts on this.
m3xtack

Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:15 am

For certain things, yes. I have heard of a lot of underground dudes speaking out against a lot of things that happen to these women. Some of them know it shouldn't be happening but are so desperate for the money they let these dudes treat em like trash.
ShArk

Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:26 pm

Anytime I see anyone speak out against the hop hop community in how women are viewed and treated, they get bashed for it. You have that huge feminist movement yet they never address it either and I think it is because they would take it as a race move.
Lil P

Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:40 pm

Women need to be treated better for sure but they have to want to be treated better. Most women in hip hop are fine with being sex symbols and objects. This gives the dudes the wrong impression though that all women are fine with this and they aren't.
Yo-She

Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:19 pm

Lil P wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:40 pm
Women need to be treated better for sure but they have to want to be treated better. Most women in hip hop are fine with being sex symbols and objects. This gives the dudes the wrong impression though that all women are fine with this and they aren't.
And this is the issue. As a woman, I see this crap all the time. Even if the women involved seem to be happy living these kinds of lives and getting abused, it doesn't mean use other ladies should sit back and do nothing. Where the hell is feminism? It is such a joke to preach about equality and allow so many women to be abused in plain sight.
skrilZZ

Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:08 pm

I don't want it to be labeled like this.

Yes, a lot of the women should be respected more and not taken advantage of. The sexual advances and abuse need to stop. However, labeling it as a "#MeToo" push won't be handled well. I think they should start their own movement with their own hashtag.
redMT2

Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:05 pm

skrilZZ wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:08 pm
I don't want it to be labeled like this.

Yes, a lot of the women should be respected more and not taken advantage of. The sexual advances and abuse need to stop. However, labeling it as a "#MeToo" push won't be handled well. I think they should start their own movement with their own hashtag.
I think them crazy feminist women ruined the movement. It seems like all movements that start of good get ruined by people. I mean really, this can fall under the black lives matter movement because these women's lives matter and they need to be treated better. Maybe starting their own would be worth it.
shad0ws

Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:26 am

R Kelly is ONE dude that happened to get caught multiple times. Imagine the number of dudes who likely took advantage of underage girls and not to mention abused grown women. There is a dark side to hip hop when it comes to the mainstream spot. This is the case for all genres of music.