Current State of Hip Hop - Discussion?

Want to kick back and discuss something other than hip hop? Do it here.
Bigking

Wed May 23, 2018 9:07 am

So, that chat in the Fashion thread with @Bangarang got me thinkin an I went trollin on the internet lookin for some stuff and found this article that I thought I'd share wiht ya'll. it's a little old (back in february) but I figure it's still short enough to be relevant.

https://www.theroot.com/is-today-s-hip- ... 1822560290

What ya'll think? You like the new stuff, or prefer the old stuff? What you think about the current hip hop scene?
Roach

Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:15 pm

I think its the same in everything, we always look back at old stuff as the excellent and unbeatable stuff, but we just age with the stuff and grow up liking what we like, usually its no better or worse.
cuTterz

Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:15 am

I figured I would give this a bump..

I think a lot of the mainstream hip hop lost its edge in terms of music, lyrics, and fashion. Not all of it is bad but to me, I find better stuff underground or from unsigned artists. Like even Nicki's earlier work is better. I can't say the same for Drake though. His early work was no good. I like his work now but it isn't his own lyrics. He is just a persona for the music.
skrilZZ

Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:29 am

cuTterz wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:15 am
I figured I would give this a bump..

I think a lot of the mainstream hip hop lost its edge in terms of music, lyrics, and fashion. Not all of it is bad but to me, I find better stuff underground or from unsigned artists. Like even Nicki's earlier work is better. I can't say the same for Drake though. His early work was no good. I like his work now but it isn't his own lyrics. He is just a persona for the music.
I wouldn't say Nicki's earlier work is better... She just had more creative control over it. Her music is meant to be radio banger tracks. When you realize that, you can easily see she is the best out there for that in terms of females.