Mumble/Trap Rap vs Lyrical

Share the latest tracks from your favorite rappers. Youtube, Spotify, Soundcloud and other copyright abiding links only.
HipHopstical

Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:35 am

I wasn't sure where to put this thread. It falls under hip hop music but there is no general Hip Hip section other than for news so I put it here. If it is in the wrong spot, feel free to move it.

Anyways, this is a topic I had been discussing with some people for the last few days. I wanted to get everyone's takes on it here.

When it comes to rap or general hip-hop, would you say mumble rap is beneath trap and trap is beneath lyrical?

In some cases mumble and trap are the same but in some cases they arent.
cryztals

Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:47 am

Some trap rap music is fine, I think for the most part though, it all sounds too similar. The mumble stuff I am not that big on. I grew up listening to rap groups that were more about being thugs and I think the whole persona changed. Seems like anyone who stands out and does drugs gets a record label.

Told my friend the other day that Nas was half right when he said hip hop is dead back in 09. A lot of rap, not all of it but alot of it went down the drain in like 07/08.
ShArk

Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:25 am

I am indifferent with it. I like some of it, hate some of it, and still prefer old school lyrical music but a lot of people seem to be feeling this mumble stuff cause it makes sales.
skrilZZ

Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:38 am

HipHopstical wrote:
I wasn't sure where to put this thread. It falls under hip hop music but there is no general Hip Hip section other than for news so I put it here. If it is in the wrong spot, feel free to move it.

Anyways, this is a topic I had been discussing with some people for the last few days. I wanted to get everyone's takes on it here.

When it comes to rap or general hip-hop, would you say mumble rap is beneath trap and trap is beneath lyrical?

What do you classify as mumble and what do you classify as trap? I always thought it was the same thing. Both use repetition in the beats and vocals.
HipHopstical

Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:19 am

skrilZZ wrote:
HipHopstical wrote:

What do you classify as mumble and what do you classify as trap? I always thought it was the same thing. Both use repetition in the beats and vocals.
This is mumble:

This is trap rap:

Trap sounds more like a club beat with lyrics to it. Maybe they can be defined as the same, I really don't know lol
skrilZZ

Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:11 am

HipHopstical wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:19 am
skrilZZ wrote:
HipHopstical wrote:

This is mumble:

This is trap rap:

Trap sounds more like a club beat with lyrics to it. Maybe they can be defined as the same, I really don't know lol
I guess I can hear the differences but they aren't too far off. I really think the whole genre goes together and people are just being picky when they try to separate it.