Home studios

The place for producers to discuss methods and equipment.
IntoxNitram

Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:40 pm

I assume most people here starting out will have a home studio, as prices for professional studios will be too steep. I wanted to ask therefore how you went about creating a home studio space. What kind of things you need and how you set it all up. For example I think I'd need some soundproofing but not sure on the best way to sort that out.
"He better go capture this moment and hope it don't pass him"
Xport

Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:09 am

I have considered this. I share an apartment with two other guys. I have the biggest bedroom of the three with a pretty big walk-in closet. I am thinking of soundproofing that small area. It has doors as well. I figure that will be good enough to start and I can block out pretty much all noises. I would just do what podcast dudes do or streamers on Twitch and use the foam pads on the walls.

There things:

Roach

Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:13 pm

Xport, the image you have shared look like the kind of things I see a lot of people using, not just in home studios but also those just wanting a room for when they are recording different things. They seem to soundproof the room well and also stop the echo sound you can sometimes get. I would suggest they are a good purchase, but to do a big room you are likely looking at a pretty big expense. Not sure what you would do to cover the doors either, could these be used on them?
m3xtack

Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:19 pm

Roach wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:13 pm
Xport, the image you have shared look like the kind of things I see a lot of people using, not just in home studios but also those just wanting a room for when they are recording different things. They seem to soundproof the room well and also stop the echo sound you can sometimes get. I would suggest they are a good purchase, but to do a big room you are likely looking at a pretty big expense. Not sure what you would do to cover the doors either, could these be used on them?
When I was still in school, the music room used full panels. I can't remember what they are called but they were titles with little holes in them. They worked by keeping the sound in the room and also blocking out the sound. I would imagine this isn't cheap though like you said.