Would a gaming PC be good?

The place for producers to discuss methods and equipment.
cuTterz

Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:12 am

I was trying to find this answer a few days ago and couldn't find a solid one. I have a gaming PC and I would like to get into music production. I am just wondering if it is the right kind of computer to use or if I even can. Anyone know? I am brand new to this.
JakeB0MB

Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:45 am

I don't see why not. The whole point of a gaming PC is to handle multiple media tasks so it should do just fine my friend. You can look up your specs and compare them if you'd like but I am sure it is perfectly fine. Just make sure you have enough memory.
Yo-She

Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:33 am

JakeB0MB wrote:
I don't see why not. The whole point of a gaming PC is to handle multiple media tasks so it should do just fine my friend. You can look up your specs and compare them if you'd like but I am sure it is perfectly fine. Just make sure you have enough memory.
Memory is usually where people mess up. Anyone I talk to about computers always recommends a solid SSD drive be it a PC or laptop.
JakeB0MB

Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:22 pm

Yo-She wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:33 am
JakeB0MB wrote:
Memory is usually where people mess up. Anyone I talk to about computers always recommends a solid SSD drive be it a PC or laptop.
Exactly this. You are right. A lot of people think they get a good computer but once you have windows or whatever system program running, it tends to eat up 50%+ of the memory right there. SSDs are the way to go!
shad0ws

Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:12 pm

If it has the memory, like mentioned, it will be fine. I would put all your music and everything on a separate memory drive so you don't lose anything. You can get an external SSD that just plugs in if you'd like to.
Yo-She

Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:19 pm

shad0ws wrote:
If it has the memory, like mentioned, it will be fine. I would put all your music and everything on a separate memory drive so you don't lose anything. You can get an external SSD that just plugs in if you'd like to.
That is another good point. External ones are great for music and safer so long as you take care of it. I know someone who lost tons of music and videos cause he kept it on his desk and spilled something on it.
shad0ws

Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:43 am

Yo-She wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:19 pm
shad0ws wrote:
That is another good point. External ones are great for music and safer so long as you take care of it. I know someone who lost tons of music and videos cause he kept it on his desk and spilled something on it.
Ouch! I would never just leave it sitting out like that. That is like just asking for trouble. I only ever messed up a USB. I accidentally dropped it in a glass of juice I had sitting in front of my tower. Sucked cause I lost some stuff I needed for school but life goes on haha