What do you think the current trends are for hip-hop albums and mix tapes?

The place for graphic designers to provide their mixtape artwork design services.
HipHopstical

What do you think the current trends are for hip-hop albums and mix tapes?

Post by HipHopstical » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:37 pm

If you look back you can see they changed quite a bit over the years. Back in the 90's, a lot of the focus of the cover art was focused on the actual artist/artists of the album. I think Kayne's approach kind of struck up a new trend with Colledge Dropout following all of his other albums.

What do you think the current trends are these days?

WishSlayr

Re: What do you think the current trends are for hip-hop albums and mix tapes?

Post by WishSlayr » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:24 am

Looks that this list here: https://www.ranker.com/list/best-rap-al ... nker-music

You can scroll down and see a lot of current albums that are newer. To me, not much has changed here. A lot of them resemble 90's and 2000's albums even though it is 2018. I think all of this depends on the message you want to give. Some choose to be more urban, some more artistic or poetic, others just like using themselves in some fashion.

cryztals

Re: What do you think the current trends are for hip-hop albums and mix tapes?

Post by cryztals » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:14 am

It is something that doesn't have a grounding. You can see all kinds of different mixtape art and illustrations from over the years and if you didn't know any better, you wouldn't be able to pick the years they came out. The only give away would be if they include style or whips on the covers.