Thoughts on the removal of "Indian" mascots?

The section for discussing everything related to sports such as soccer, basketball and football.
shad0ws

Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:18 pm

This has been a longstanding issue for the NFL and MLB for what, the last 6 years? I guess they are finally making moves.

Starting next year, the Cleveland Indians will no longer be using Chief Wahoo:
Chief Wahoo has been a Cleveland Indians fixture since the 1940s but became the target of mounting protests, particularly from Native American communities rightly offended by the grinning, red-faced cartoon. Recent years saw a slow de-emphasis of its use. Wahoo was first kicked off the team’s road cap, then the home batting helmet, and two years ago was demoted as the team’s primary logo in favor of the block-C symbol. Then the announcement earlier this year that the 2019 season would open with the caricature no longer appearing on the team’s uniforms.
source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... 2588669f97

My question is... What about the other teams? The ones that actually have their fans beat drums and act offensive?
g code

Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:29 am

I think it is all stupid. I never heard of the natives being offended over any of this until like a few years ago and it is the white people complaining, not the natives. Why you gotta ruin things for people? It is a logo for a damn sports team. If it was meant to be offensive, it wouldn't be for a sports team.
cryztals

Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:51 pm

g code wrote:
I think it is all stupid. I never heard of the natives being offended over any of this until like a few years ago and it is the white people complaining, not the natives. Why you gotta ruin things for people? It is a logo for a damn sports team. If it was meant to be offensive, it wouldn't be for a sports team.
Everyone wants something to complain about these days. The more people give in to these demands, the more they will request for things to be changed out of racism, sexism, or some other ism. It is getting old. All this crap started hitting mainstream around like 2010 and here were are nearly 9 years late and it is only worse.
g code

Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:25 am

cryztals wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:51 pm
g code wrote:
Everyone wants something to complain about these days. The more people give in to these demands, the more they will request for things to be changed out of racism, sexism, or some other ism. It is getting old. All this crap started hitting mainstream around like 2010 and here were are nearly 9 years late and it is only worse.
The irony is that it is mostly white university students saying this crap like they have any clue. Oh well. I just ignore it all. I get what you are saying but there will always be people complaining and always be people willing to give into the demands.
ShArk

Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:37 pm

I am a bit late to this but I think it is stupid. Like it is nothing but a mascot and a cartoon one. Nothing about the picture is offensive yet a bunch of stick in their butt white folks want to complain about everything for everyone. Makes me sick.