What is with the alloy?

The place to discuss fashion and ice.
ShArk

Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:37 pm

I noticed when I was shopping online for a new chain, a lot of what was in my budget was "plated" gold or silver. The base of the medal was alloy 90% of the time. Like I get that it is cheap but I heard it isn't good for the body. Like why not use surgical steel or stainless steel which is a lot safer and still cheap?
Yo-She

Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:30 am

It is cheap and massively produced in China. I can't wear any of this kind of metal crap cause I get a rash from it. I know some lighter skinned girls who actually turn green. Can't be good for the skin!
JakeB0MB

Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:36 am

Yo-She wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:30 am
It is cheap and massively produced in China. I can't wear any of this kind of metal crap cause I get a rash from it. I know some lighter skinned girls who actually turn green. Can't be good for the skin!
Pretty much this. Most people are okay to wear it but I would never say to wear it long term in your ears or on your fingers. The skin is an organ really so anything you put on it gets absorbed to a certain degree. Dirty and cheap metal is no exception.
skrilZZ

Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:18 pm

If the alloy is coated, I don't see the harm. But if it is just straight alloy, that ish is going to rust in like a week of wearing it! Had a chain I got cheap on eBay and I wore it maybe 3 times, it turned almost entirely to rust just from my skin and sweat touching it.