Stopping the political drama over Christmas gatherings

Got something that is troubling you? Discuss it here to see if our community can help.
JakeB0MB

Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:45 am

My family is a mixed back. I mean that quite literally. We have whites, blacks, democrats, republicans, Trump lovers, Trump haters, feminists, and all the other things. There is a high chance something gets brought up that will cause a massive debate that turns into a heated argument where people just end up pissed off at each other. I have my own ideas and tend to fall in the center of it all. How can I diffuse something like this or at least ensure it doesn't happen through prevention?
skrilZZ

Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:31 pm

If I was you, I would just look them all in the faces and say you are doing exactly what the government wants you to do... Destroying your own damn family. And just walk out the room. They will either come together laughing at you or they won't know what to say. Works every time.
g code

Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:24 am

You don't have to be rude, just excuse yourself from the situation. Try to get everyone to focus on food and family. If there will be younger kids around, have them acting all silly. People can't argue when kids are doing stupid things. It is too funny!
WishSlayr

Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:23 am

Just walk away. I have to do that with friends and family all the time. I don't mind discussing politics and such with people but everyone takes personal opinions like attacks.
Xport

Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:36 am

How did everything go for you?

There was almost an argument that popped up over politics with my family but my oldest bro was smart and jumped in to counteract it with a joke and the subject was changed.