Mental Health Support Forum

Free and Open Support For Those Living With Mental Health Conditions

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to MHSF. Please do not feel afraid to join us to discuss any issues that may be affecting your daily life, we are all here to help each other and we want to provide a safe and secure space for communication regarding mental health no matter your race, religion or sexual orientation.

#1 2020-06-13 20:31:49

dividednationz

Can OCD be triggered by trauma and brought on suddenly?

I have had issues with worry and anxiety from a young age. When I was in my early 20's, I noticed I started developing patterns of repetitive behavior. It started with tapping objects and cracking my neck but has escalated to opening and closing doors 5 times before going through them. I don't even realize I am doing it 90% of the time. My girlfriend has been understanding of it all and I am thankful for her being in my life but I don't know why this started or what could have caused it. Can OCD like this happen suddenly?

#2 2020-06-18 22:55:47

tigerbound

Re: Can OCD be triggered by trauma and brought on suddenly?

I think in most cases, OCD comes on slowly but a lot of people overlook the signs as they tend to start in childhood years.

What you are explaining might be nervous ticks. Anxiety commonly causes this and I know when I started doing it, I was worried about OCD but it is just a learned reaction to stress.

#3 2020-06-27 22:18:56

BlueClover

Re: Can OCD be triggered by trauma and brought on suddenly?

Trauma can cause any mental illness. It depends on how the person handles the trauma and stress. Children can unlearn OCD behaviors with the right teachers and doctors involved.

Board footer