Mental Health Support Forum

Free and Open Support For Those Living With Mental Health Conditions

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to MHSF. Please do not feel afraid to join us to discuss any issues that may be affecting your daily life, we are all here to help each other and we want to provide a safe and secure space for communication regarding mental health no matter your race, religion or sexual orientation.

#1 2020-06-13 20:35:43

dividednationz

Struggles with a dependent personality disorder

I never realized that my over clinginess and dependency on my mother was an issue until my doctor started talking to me about it. I have a constant need to impress my mother and the thought of failing to do so will sometimes bring me to tears. The idea of her rejection is absolutely fear striking for me and I haven't been able to be fully comfortable in her presence for many years.

Does anyone else have these kinds of struggles? Is there a way to work through them?

#2 2020-06-26 01:08:04

lazytuesdays

Re: Struggles with a dependent personality disorder

This is common from children who grow up with parents or a single parent who is a high achiever or tries living their children. It is like a nervous tick at first but then it becomes a fully developed mental struggle. Have you considered trying some therapy that deals with mental/emotional abuse from when you were a child?

#3 2020-06-27 22:23:15

BlueClover

Re: Struggles with a dependent personality disorder

lazytuesdays wrote:

This is common from children who grow up with parents or a single parent who is a high achiever or tries living their children. It is like a nervous tick at first but then it becomes a fully developed mental struggle. Have you considered trying some therapy that deals with mental/emotional abuse from when you were a child?

Now that you mentioned it, this is actually something that is very common in Asian cultures and I think it boils down to overachieving parents. I don't think they realize how damaging it can be longterm.

Board footer