Mental Health Support Forum

Free and Open Support For Those Living With Mental Health Conditions

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to MHSF. Please do not feel afraid to join us to discuss any issues that may be affecting your daily life, we are all here to help each other and we want to provide a safe and secure space for communication regarding mental health no matter your race, religion or sexual orientation.

#1 2020-06-22 03:54:59

deepdivine42

Is Schizoaffective Disorder Under-diagnosed?

I read a lot of thoughts and theories from people online which implies that this is a common issue that is often overlooked. People with this issue can be in positions where they can actually harm others without it being their prime intent. A good example of this is if a police officer were to be suffering without knowing. The paranoia with lack of control of his/her anger can quickly become a problem.

Do you think that Schizoaffective Disorders are under-diagnosed?

#2 2020-06-27 22:28:15

BlueClover

Re: Is Schizoaffective Disorder Under-diagnosed?

This is something that requires the person, friends, or family of said person to be able to acknowledge something is not right and seek treatment. To be underdiagnosed would mean doctors are seeing these people and brushing it off as something else.

#3 2020-07-01 23:21:59

gregfritz

Re: Is Schizoaffective Disorder Under-diagnosed?

From what I know about it, BlueClover is right. You can't just know you have it, it has to be diagnosed so it can't really mean that it is underdiagnosed. I think some people have it temporarily as well. A very stressful event in life can bring it on just like anxiety, depression, and bipolar.

Board footer