Mental Health Support Forum

Free and Open Support For Those Living With Mental Health Conditions

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to MHSF. Please do not feel afraid to join us to discuss any issues that may be affecting your daily life, we are all here to help each other and we want to provide a safe and secure space for communication regarding mental health no matter your race, religion or sexual orientation.

#1 2020-06-22 04:07:08

deepdivine42

Is a personality disorder similar to gender identity disorder?

Regardless of how the world wants to view it, gender identity disorder is a real thing and I think that the way people are handling it today is only causing more harm. With that being said, is a personality disorder similar to this? With GID, you see people who don't feel comfortable in their body and they feel they were put in the wrong body on a sexual (gender) basis. While it is not directly a personality issue, it is still a personalization issue.

#2 2020-06-26 01:10:00

lazytuesdays

Re: Is a personality disorder similar to gender identity disorder?

I mean in a way, yes, I suppose but a gender identity disorder tends to stem more from abuse directed at their gender. An example would be for a young boy to be touched in a bad way as a toddler and making the association that he being a boy was the issue and in order to correct the issue, he has to be a girl. I know it is more complex than this and no every case deals with abuse but a large number do.

#3 2020-06-27 22:24:30

BlueClover

Re: Is a personality disorder similar to gender identity disorder?

I think it is in the same book but not in the same chapter. They both have similar symptoms, thought patterns, and tend to be brought on from trauma but they aren't enough alike to be considered the same thing.

Board footer