Mental Health Support Forum

Free and Open Support For Those Living With Mental Health Conditions

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to MHSF. Please do not feel afraid to join us to discuss any issues that may be affecting your daily life, we are all here to help each other and we want to provide a safe and secure space for communication regarding mental health no matter your race, religion or sexual orientation.

#1 2020-06-26 00:41:44

lazytuesdays

Vitamin D3 deficiency and anxiety/depression?

So I did a bit of research and found a lot of information on vitamin d3 and how being deficient in it can lead to depression (often SAD) but also anxiety and panic disorders. Looking at my lifestyle the last several years, I don't get out in the sun much and my diet is not very high in D3 either so I am assuming I have low levels. But thinking back when my anxiety started, this was when I was spending more time indoors and only going out and doing things at night. So maybe there is a real connection here people should consider?

#2 2020-06-27 01:17:04

lonelygamer56

Re: Vitamin D3 deficiency and anxiety/depression?

D3 actually helps with IBS. I think they only just found this out back in 2014. I put it to the test myself. I have anxiety and IBS brought on by stress and it greatly reduces the symptoms for me within a few hours. It would not shock me to see it helps with anxiety or depression either.

#3 2020-06-27 22:04:48

BlueClover

I read this somewhere not too long ago myself. I never actually got my levels tested but I have had issues with SAD for several years now. I tend to be at my worst in January and February and by April I feel better again. I am going to see what my levels are when I can get in with my doctor and if they are low, see if supplementing makes a difference.

#4 2020-07-01 23:04:35

gregfritz

There was a study I read on this a few years ago and thinking back I could place when my levels likely went down. I gained weight and was working a desk job so I was indoors when the sun was out and spent little time outdoors during the day. I might supplement like Blue and see if I notice any changes. I would love to get tested but my standard medical doc is booked until late August.

Board footer