Mental Health Support Forum

Free and Open Support For Those Living With Mental Health Conditions

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to MHSF. Please do not feel afraid to join us to discuss any issues that may be affecting your daily life, we are all here to help each other and we want to provide a safe and secure space for communication regarding mental health no matter your race, religion or sexual orientation.

#1 2020-06-26 01:02:57

lazytuesdays

The body positive movement is giving kids the wrong idea...

Am I the only one who feels this way? It tends to be more of an issue with young girls since boys don't tend to be a focus for this movement, just women. They take something like obesity and make it glamorous. It isn't, it is very unhealthy to think it is. Having extra weight on you is one thing and people shouldn't be shaming others for being overweight or even obese but to do a 180 on it and market it as attractive, beautiful, and even healthy is just wrong. I also see a lot of these people shaming women for losing weight or women who stay in good shape and health. It makes no sense.

It is just going to encourage more eating disorders in the opposite direction.

Last edited by lazytuesdays (2020-06-26 01:03:24)

#2 2020-06-27 01:11:16

lonelygamer56

Re: The body positive movement is giving kids the wrong idea...

I agree with you. The core message of the movement is to love yourself but you can't love yourself truly if you are not taking care of your body. You can be happy and confident at any size, but you shouldn't be celebrated for such a thing. It is a weird topic.

#3 2020-06-27 22:13:26

BlueClover

Re: The body positive movement is giving kids the wrong idea...

I feel for girls/women who get teased, bullied, made fun of, and everything else. I know it is very hard to deal with. While I think the message of loving yourself is important, I think the movement crossed the line into a place that just is not healthy. This happens with all movements and causes. They start out doing good and spreading great messages, gaining hearts and minds but then they spiral out of control. Now it is considered sexism to not date bigger women even though you can't help what you find attractive.  It is insane.

Board footer