Mental Health Support Forum

Free and Open Support For Those Living With Mental Health Conditions

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to MHSF. Please do not feel afraid to join us to discuss any issues that may be affecting your daily life, we are all here to help each other and we want to provide a safe and secure space for communication regarding mental health no matter your race, religion or sexual orientation.

#1 2020-06-13 01:37:12

gregfritz

How do you know if someone is bipolar?

I grew up listening to my mom call my father bipolar. He would be fine one minute and then the next very angry or upset. I learned as I got older, it was a reaction to her more than anything because I started doing the same thing and she started labeling me as bipolar. I never fully understood what it was as a result but I know for sure we don't have it. How does someone know if another person is actually bipolar?

#2 2020-06-13 20:43:36

dividednationz

Re: How do you know if someone is bipolar?

Experts believe bipolar disorder is partly caused by an underlying problem with specific brain circuits and the functioning of brain chemicals called neurotransmitters.

I pulled that from a webMD article. You can google it to read the full thing.

It is a complex issue that is widely misunderstood. People with a bipolar disorder will struggle with most day to day aspects of life. They only have extreme highs and extreme lows. Often going from being overly excited for life and not being able to sit still to a deep dark depression.

Last edited by dividednationz (2020-06-13 20:44:20)

#3 2020-06-18 22:50:54

tigerbound

Bipolar is more complex than depression and anxiety. Someone I know has it but only mildly. They have issues controlling their temper and often get angry easily but they are on medication which helps.

#4 2020-06-27 22:07:11

BlueClover

Having known someone close to me who was bipolar (my ex) I can tell you that you know. It isn't just adjusting temperaments to match the room, it is random. It is like one minute the person is having fun doing something and then something frustrates them or upsets them and they lose it emotionally. She was more the type to get upset and cry over getting angry and telling but you can tell.

#5 2020-06-28 23:34:42

RedRuuby

Not everyone is the same. Most of my friends/family don't even believe I have bipolar having just been diagnosed this year but I am beginning to think that the reason why is because they think this is MY normal. Not everyone struggles the same way and had I not gone in thinking I had depression, I may have never found out myself.

#6 2020-07-01 23:07:42

gregfritz

dividednationz wrote:

Experts believe bipolar disorder is partly caused by an underlying problem with specific brain circuits and the functioning of brain chemicals called neurotransmitters.

I pulled that from a webMD article. You can google it to read the full thing.

It is a complex issue that is widely misunderstood. People with a bipolar disorder will struggle with most day to day aspects of life. They only have extreme highs and extreme lows. Often going from being overly excited for life and not being able to sit still to a deep dark depression.

I just read the article and that did clear things up for me. I think I was under the impression that bipolar was something entirely different.

And thanks to everyone else for responding, it clear everything up for me and now I understand better.

Board footer