Mental Health Support Forum

Free and Open Support For Those Living With Mental Health Conditions

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to MHSF. Please do not feel afraid to join us to discuss any issues that may be affecting your daily life, we are all here to help each other and we want to provide a safe and secure space for communication regarding mental health no matter your race, religion or sexual orientation.

#1 2020-06-13 20:46:52

dividednationz

Is there a common age where bipolar starts?

I was trying to figure out if age plays a role in this disorder. I know someone who suffers from it and thinking back to our childhood, I never remember him being out of the ordinary with anything and now he is on 3 different medications to manage his issues with this disorder. Is there an age where it just comes on out of nowhere?

#2 2020-06-18 22:52:07

tigerbound

Re: Is there a common age where bipolar starts?

I read that in most cases it starts in a person's teens but it can happen later in life, though it is rare. The average age for boys is 19 and this is based on most cases being developed and discovered at this age.

#3 2020-06-26 00:50:52

lazytuesdays

Males are more likely to suffer as well. I think that the stress is there but the actual signs of the disorder can come out of the blue. In most cases from what I have seen and read, major stress triggers the disorder to happen. This is why it is commonly seen in older teens and younger 20 somethings because this is where life tends to become more stressful.

#4 2020-06-28 23:36:06

RedRuuby

I am a female and got diagnosed this year, I am 23. So the numbers aren't an exact science but for all I know, I could have had the issue since my late teens. I think most people have bipolar for a while before it gets officially diagnosed and sorted.

#5 2020-06-30 20:50:34

shatteredbits

I always heard of the age being 22 but it could have dropped since I last looked into this. I think this is down to stress in teens. So many of them deal with things we didn't have growing up. At least not me since I am older now.

Board footer