Mental Health Support Forum

Free and Open Support For Those Living With Mental Health Conditions

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to MHSF. Please do not feel afraid to join us to discuss any issues that may be affecting your daily life, we are all here to help each other and we want to provide a safe and secure space for communication regarding mental health no matter your race, religion or sexual orientation.

#1 2020-06-26 00:46:11

lazytuesdays

Health anxiety solutions?

I have terrible health anxiety. Recently started having a slight pain in my ear and it lead to me feeling as if it is blocked. This caused me to worry a lot and think I was losing my hearing. This was happening for a few days and then I had an IBS episode with my stomach where I was in massive amounts of pain. It woke me up in the middle of the night. I ended up having some bleeding after going to the bathroom which furthered me into more panic and now I am just trying to stay as calm as possible, drink water, take it easy with food and not try to think about it.

This is the most recent event but I have had several cases like this with other things happening in my body and I think the worst off the bat. I hate this thought pattern I put myself in and the stress reactions in my body that follow. Is there a way to reduce this kind of thinking?

#2 2020-06-27 21:57:51

BlueClover

Re: Health anxiety solutions?

Deep breathing exercises are said to help. Some people will take the same approach as self-harming people and use a rubber band on the wrist. When you start thinking things, you snap the band on your wrist until they stop. It is believed to be a way of redirecting the brain.

#3 2020-06-28 23:43:20

RedRuuby

Re: Health anxiety solutions?

Health anxiety isn't something I know much about but I feel like the best thing you can do is find a doctor you can trust, one that can work with you and not hold things against you and every time you think something is wrong, just get it checked out by said doctor.

Board footer