Mental Health Support Forum

Free and Open Support For Those Living With Mental Health Conditions

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to MHSF. Please do not feel afraid to join us to discuss any issues that may be affecting your daily life, we are all here to help each other and we want to provide a safe and secure space for communication regarding mental health no matter your race, religion or sexual orientation.

#1 2020-06-18 22:59:06

tigerbound

Does shortness of breath cause light-headedness?

I noticed when my anxiety is acting up, I will feel short of breath first. Shortly after this, I will get lightheaded or dizzy, sometimes both. I am not sure if this is down to how I am breathing or just a sensation I am experiencing because of my anxiety.

#2 2020-06-26 00:36:20

lazytuesdays

Re: Does shortness of breath cause light-headedness?

If you tense up a lot in your neck, you can become lightheaded from that. I get this way when I am nervous or having a panic attack. I find it helps to rub my neck, put ice on my neck, or use a tens unit.

#3 2020-06-27 22:01:48

BlueClover

Shallow breathing can do this. People who are shallow breathers are more likely to have issues with anxiety as well. You can correct this by checking in with your breathing once an hour. Set an alarm on your phone and be sure you are sitting up straight and breathing into your stomach, not your chest.

#4 2020-06-28 23:44:41

RedRuuby

I get lightheaded a lot when I am nervous and I am not sure what causes it but I have been told it can be from shallow breathing or tensing up muscles in the shoulders and neck so I think both replies you got above mine are correct. It is just a matter of figuring out which one is causing the issue for you so you can sort it out.

Board footer