Mental Health Support Forum

Free and Open Support For Those Living With Mental Health Conditions

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to MHSF. Please do not feel afraid to join us to discuss any issues that may be affecting your daily life, we are all here to help each other and we want to provide a safe and secure space for communication regarding mental health no matter your race, religion or sexual orientation.

#1 2020-06-30 20:28:29

shatteredbits

PTSD and video games

I thought this would be a topic that would help shed a bit of light on something. I enjoy playing video games but certain video games or scenarios in video games can trigger my PTSD in a bad way and send me through a very bad panic episode. I don't think younger adults, teens, or parents of children with PTSD realize that games can do this. Even basic tasks that involve a timer can alter my thought processes and have me panic.

Does anyone else here experience this from playing games?

#2 2020-07-01 23:20:50

gregfritz

Re: PTSD and video games

I can get very hyped up while playing video games to the point where I get anxiety and that feeling has turned into panic attacks for me. It isn't even from fear or anything, it is just excitement. I can get very happy from something and have panic attacks so yeah, I can see how this can cause issues with PTSD.

Board footer