Mental Health Support Forum

Free and Open Support For Those Living With Mental Health Conditions

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to MHSF. Please do not feel afraid to join us to discuss any issues that may be affecting your daily life, we are all here to help each other and we want to provide a safe and secure space for communication regarding mental health no matter your race, religion or sexual orientation.

#1 2020-06-16 21:49:31

cl0ud9

Can someone develop PTSD from abuse?

I have a question that pertains more to someone I know. They had very abusive parents. The mother was verbally abusive and the father was hands-on. As a result, she has developed anxiety, socializing issues, and I believe she has PTSD because she struggled with forming relationships with men. I am thinking this is down to her father abusing her. Can someone develop PTSD from something like this?

#2 2020-06-18 22:57:25

tigerbound

Re: Can someone develop PTSD from abuse?

A lot of people think PTSD is down to something serious like being in a war or seeing something horrific happen but it can also be brought on by years of abuse, yes. This is something that can be helped though. Has she considered speaking with someone who specializes in PTSD?

#3 2020-06-22 04:01:19

deepdivine42

Re: Can someone develop PTSD from abuse?

PTSD is a stress reaction that happens after the stresser or stressful event has ended. I have known some people to have PTSD after being in a car accident as well as PTSD from abusive partners.

Board footer