Mental Health Support Forum

Free and Open Support For Those Living With Mental Health Conditions

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to MHSF. Please do not feel afraid to join us to discuss any issues that may be affecting your daily life, we are all here to help each other and we want to provide a safe and secure space for communication regarding mental health no matter your race, religion or sexual orientation.

#1 2020-06-13 01:41:52

gregfritz

Can someone go from one extreme to the other?

A friend of mine often goes from starving herself to overeating. She does this on and off and never really sticks to a normal diet. She is either eating next to nothing or way too much and it is for days, sometimes weeks at a time. Can an eating disorder do this to someone?

#2 2020-06-22 04:12:08

deepdivine42

Re: Can someone go from one extreme to the other?

Yes, this can happen. If the eating disorder is not severe enough to keep them stuck in a position of starvation or overeating, they often develop a mental and emotional patterns of abusive behavior based on their eating patterns. They will overheat and then punish themselves by starving.

#3 2020-06-26 01:05:49

lazytuesdays

deepdivine is spot on. My wife is this way when she is in public. She hardly eats but when we are at home, she can eat as much as me. She is not struggling with a weight problem but she is considered overweight and it bothers her. I love her just the same but this kind of behavior doesn't help her feel better.

#4 2020-07-01 23:17:38

gregfritz

deepdivine42 wrote:

Yes, this can happen. If the eating disorder is not severe enough to keep them stuck in a position of starvation or overeating, they often develop a mental and emotional patterns of abusive behavior based on their eating patterns. They will overheat and then punish themselves by starving.

Okay this makes sense. I just wasn't sure because no one ever really mentions this or talks about it but it seems like this kind of behavior is likely the most common when it comes to eating disorders.

Board footer