Travis Scott: Hip Hop & Text Messages

Talk about and share the latest gossip on your favorite rappers in pop culture.
HipHopstical

Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:23 pm

The 29 million fans who listen to Scott monthly on Spotify might not know it, but what they’re responding to has at least as much to do with Mike Dean as it does with Travis Scott. Perhaps more.

Though listeners probably wouldn’t care anyway. I asked my son, who has a friend with some experience with Scott in a musical setting, what Scott represents to the under-25 set, in term’s of hip-hop’s evolution. He responded with something I wish I’d thought of. “Nineties hip-hop was like writing or reading a letter. Today, it’s a text message with an emoji.”

That ties in nicely with a Deadspin piece that suggests Scott’s sound is more like a demographics-specific algorithm run amok than the creation of an actual artist: “The result is what you'd get if a Drake Pandora station achieved sentience.” Ouch.

“Travis Scott has stolen whole cloth basically every idea he’s ever expressed on a record,” the piece continues. “Mostly, he’s stolen these ideas from two people: Kanye and Kid Cudi.”
Source: https://buffalonews.com/2019/02/27/trav ... t-message/

That quote really makes sense about the texting thing. In the 90's, we had some deep story telling and truly poetic lyrics that were profound. Today, it is all about one-liners and repetitive, easy to swallow dribble. I miss the way 90's and early 00's rap and music in general really had an impact.
WishSlayr

Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:18 pm

HipHopstical wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:23 pm

That quote really makes sense about the texting thing. In the 90's, we had some deep story telling and truly poetic lyrics that were profound. Today, it is all about one-liners and repetitive, easy to swallow dribble. I miss the way 90's and early 00's rap and music in general really had an impact.

It kind of is spot on when you think about it but you have to consider the times. It is more about the beat than the lyrics and the average listener would rather have spoon fed lyrics than deep poetic meaning. It is a shame cause the deep stuff doesn't get as much cred or attention. Gone are the days of Nas.
cryztals

Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:14 pm

You can't blame the industry for going with what sells. Like you see how people are these days, especially teens and younger 20's. They have the attention span of a fly. Music needs to be catchy and simple for people to like it.
m3xtack

Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:32 pm

cryztals wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:14 pm
You can't blame the industry for going with what sells. Like you see how people are these days, especially teens and younger 20's. They have the attention span of a fly. Music needs to be catchy and simple for people to like it.
I said this years ago when people started turning their backs on hip hop. There is plenty out there that don't sound like this spoon fed crap. You just have to look for it. Underground is where all the true talent is.